British Legion Standard Bearers Sling Badge
The Royal British Legion Standard, original designed in 1922 by Colonel E C Heath, the first General Secretary of the British Legion. It made it's first appearance in June that year at the Crystal Palace Sports Day.
It was first paraded as the National Standard at the Annual Conference Cenotaph Service in 1924, on Whit Sunday. By the end of 1928, one in every three branches had their own Standards.
This 1929 photograph below is of HRH the Prince of Wales presenting the Kent British Legion with their first County Standard as a special ceremony in Mote Park, Maidstone Kent. The Standards should be looked upon as the rallying point of the branch, and as a constant symbolic reminder of the Legions' motto "Service not Self".