Royal British Legion Women's Section Badges
The British Legion Women’s Section was formed in 1921 as the British Legion Auxiliary Women's Section and in 1922 renamed the format we all know today. – and became The Royal British Legion Women's Section in 1972 its task is to safeguard the interest of widows and families of ex-servicemen and women and to augment and widen the activities of the legion.
This is the exhibition that is dedicated to Women's Section Badge it is here that the visitor will see on display an ever growing selection of badges that have evolved since the establishment of this arm of The British Legion in 1921. In 1946 the original badge was re-designed into the more recognisable form that is available today.
Branch and County Officer's jewels of office have incorporated the original 1922 badge design and so it continues today.
In this online exhibition of Royal British Legion (RBL) and British Legion (BL) Women's Section (1946-1972) membership numbered and un-numbered badges, examples can be found from the following enamel badge manufacturers:
Birmingham Medal Company - BLWS
J. R. Gaunt, London - RBLWS, BLWS
W.D. (William Davenport) Birmingham RBLWS
Although the design of the badge remains the same there are some variations mainly in the design of the corporate lion logo. The variation in badge manufacturers one would assume is a question of economics and the best price.